Sick Building Syndrome Contamination
Is your home suffering from Sick Building Syndrome contamination?
Sometimes also called Sick Homes, Houses or Buildings, it could be a potential health hazard to your family.
These real and mostly unnoticeable conditions have created an onslaught of studies and solutions to combat indoor air pollution.
The EPA has gone so far as to suggest that indoor air pollution in some homes is greater than that of the outdoors.
Doctors also agree that the increase in indoor air pollution has attributed to the 50 – 60% rise of asthma in both children and adults over the last decade.
So what is causing “SBS”? Well, it is mainly attributed to the fact that over the last 30 to 40 years, there has been a trend towards making homes more airtight and therefore more energy efficient.
Good news for home heating and cooling bills however bad news for healthy breathing conditions. By creating an airtight environment we adversely affect the air quality in our homes by not allowing it to breath.
There are some simple steps that can be taken to help clear the air like installing high quality air filters. Changing other filters and allowing fresh make up air into the house when possible will also help.
But beyond the things we can assist with, other things that are not always on a homeowners mind are every day items used in the average home.
Pollutants such as cleaning chemical fumes, personal care products, pet dander and dust mites among others contribute to allergies, asthma and other respiratory conditions. Along with these more serious health hazards may exist.
The contamination to your home can be that of an organic or chemical nature. It is important to note changing conditions to your families health.
Let's take a look at the more dangerous of these health hazards. We'll look at how to recognize them and what can be done correct them.
Serious Health Hazards
Below is a list of these hazards with a brief definition on how they relate to homes. Click on a link to find out more information on these dangerous but avoidable hazards.
- Carbon Monoxide - A very poisonous, colorless and odorless gas formed when carbon-containing matter burns incompletely.
- Radon - A ground-generated radioactive gas that seeps into some homes through cracks in the foundation walls and floors, sump pumps, and other inlets.
- Lead Poison - Lead is highly toxic and poses a health threat, especially to children, people should avoid breathing dusts or fumes.
- Asbestos - A strong and incombustible fiber widely used in the past for fireproofing and insulation.
- Black Mold - A form of fungus. Some molds can cause disease in humans.
If you believe that any of these conditions exist in your home you should act quickly to eradicate them. They have varying degrees of danger.
Carbon monoxide is a critical danger that needs to be taken seriously; immediately!
Lead, radon and mold should be taken care of in the appropriate manner to make the home safe as soon as possible.
The topic of lead paint exposure has become a hot one. The new EPA guidelines affect all remodelers and homeowners who are remodeling older homes.
Regardless of which danger exists, remediation as quickly as possible is important. Read each of the pages associated with these harmful conditions to learn more.
Return from Sick Building Syndrome Contamination to Home